Letting go of the past can be challenging if you don’t have strategies and reasons to move forward.
Affirmations are a simple and effective tool to let go of the past, purge, and courageously embrace the future.
In this article, you’ll find 33 affirmations to inspire and encourage you to shut the door on the past and manifest a bright and beautiful future.
Also, please be sure to sign up for your free manifestation worksheet to learn how to manifest anything you desire in 5 easy steps.
Common Areas and Themes People Struggle to Let Go of
- Letting go of anger, control, or resentment
- Letting go of an old self-concept
- Letting go of lower vibrations (ego) – jealousy, envy, depression, shame, guilt, or pride
- Letting go of someone – loved ones or friends
- Letting go of a romantic relationship
- Letting go of a city or home
- Letting go of a career, job, or dream
- Letting go of expectations
- Letting go of toxic habits and sabotaging behaviors
- Letting go of past hurts
Learn more about how to transcend lower vibrations – jealousy, envy, depression, shame, guilt, pride, and anger: The Map of Consciousness by Dr. David R. Hawkins Explained
3 Reasons Why Letting Go is Important for Manifestation
When I figured it out, it was a done deal. Letting go is the final step to healing and living in the present moment. These three reasons helped me begin the process of releasing the past, forgiving, and deeply healing my entire life.
We as humans are inherently selfish; sometimes, letting go and moving forward is easier when we know what’s in it for us.
It takes conscious effort, vulnerability, and gentle discipline to surrender old thoughts, patterns, and behaviors to shape a brand-new reality. But so worth it to manifest the brightest and happiest version of yourself.
Reason 1: The Law of Attraction
The Law of Attraction states that “like attracts like.”
You magnetize into your life the same vibrational match to who you are. If the past constantly consumes your thoughts, you will attract similar circumstances to your life until you break the cycle.
For instance, you’ve been going through a breakup. If your thoughts are predominantly on resentment of your ex and fear of being hurt again, you attract and manifest the same vibration—resentment and fearful experiences.
(Of course, make sure you go through the healing process and understand your pain. Avoiding or sweeping your feelings under the rug will cause more harm in the long run.)
Or let’s say you have been holding onto envy. You will send out vibrations to the Universe that “I can’t have.” The Universe will reflect experiences of “I can’t have” back into your reality.
So move on for yourself to attract more positive experiences and outcomes in your life.
Read More: How to Let Go of An Ex in 5 Steps
Reason 2: Lower Vibrations Can Lead to Long-Term Health Issues
They long knew that illnesses and health conditions start on a metaphysical level. Your emotional and mental well-being contributes to your overall physical health.
For instance, resentment, anger, and frustration are signals that we need to take care of ourselves spiritually. Some inner need still needs to be met. Start asking yourself questions about your previous experiences.
What has led you to this vibration? Find ways to get your needs met and reorganize your relationships. Did you overgive to someone that was beyond your capabilities? Did you not speak up for yourself enough?
Additionally, your wounds and past traumas are held in your energetic, emotional body and cause stress on the body. And we all know by now what stress does to the body.
Holding onto grudges festers in different parts of your body and can lead to long-term health issues and also cause you to distort your perceptions and not see clearly.
So let go to be resolved, whole, and complete and experience your life in a state of love, peace, and calm.
Reason 3: You Become Free, Happy, and Light
Neuroscientist Dr. Joe Dispenza said, “people tend to condition their brain and body into the past.” Sometimes, people hold onto lower vibrations for so long that they’re so used to it, it just feels like them, and they become unaware that the body can feel different.
For instance, let’s say you’ve lived with depression and sadness for a while. Your body made a habit of living in sadness to the point that these feelings feel like you. The body being in a depressed state, feels normal.
Letting go of what no longer serves is scary and does take courage. It creates space, emptiness, and mystery. Who are we without the anger, anxiety, or sadness we’ve lived with for so long?
The question now becomes, “who am I?” Who am I without this story?
However, on the flip side, the unknown territory is also exhilarating. You get to reinvent yourself and start fresh!
What Are Affirmations for Letting Go of the Past?
Affirmations are short positive statements you say aloud, in your head, or write to help shape a new reality. Your vibration consists of your thoughts, feelings, and beliefs and makes up who you are.
Letting go affirmations allows you to direct your thoughts toward the future, mold your self-concept and step into the newest and highest version of yourself.
There is scientific evidence that self-affirming rewires your brain. When you work with affirmations, your brain will fire new neuro pathways, and your brain chemistry will alter to fit your new beliefs.
Tips on How to Use Letting Go Affirmations
- Set about 10 minutes daily. The best times to work with affirmations are in the morning, before bed, and after meditations. This is when your subconscious is most impressionable. However, with letting go affirmations, keep them in your back pocket and use them throughout the day when you need them.
- Choose 3 to 5 affirmations below that you resonate with. Write them down in a journal or keep them on your phone’s notes app.
- You can choose to either repeat letting go affirmations in front of the mirror, in your head, or write them out in a journal. Or you can opt to do all three.
- If you are repeating affirmations in front of a mirror or writing them in your journal, start by taking a few deep, slow breaths to get your mind and body relaxed and calm.
- Repeat each affirmation ten times.
- Conjure up the emotional feeling of the affirmation. To train the subconscious mind, you must train the emotional body to feel differently. This step is essential.
- Each time you say or write the affirmation, reach for a fuller and richer expression of the emotional experience.
- If you are up for a gentle challenge, try memorizing the emotional experience and maintain the feeling throughout your day.
- When you catch yourself reverting to the old negative feelings and thoughts, surrender the negative thinking and replace it with the positive affirmation in your head.
33 Affirmations for Letting Go of the Past
- Letting go is easy. I am good at letting go!
- I choose to let go because I care about myself and my health.
- I choose to live in the present. I’m happy in the present.
- The past does not have power over me.
- I focus on myself and what I can control and release what I cannot.
- It’s safe for me to let go.
- I release my anger, frustration, and depression to create space and replace it with loving vibrations.
- Emptiness is space for new beginnings.
- I embrace my future. I trust the Universe will unfold the highest path for me.
- I forgive myself for my past mistakes and move forward with compassion.
- I forgive and release my ex. I choose my well-being.
- The past does not define me.
- I release grudges from the past and choose forgiveness and letting go instead.
- I deserve to be happy.
- Nothing can chain me. I am free.
- It feels so good to detach and be free from the past.
- I’m freeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
- I release expectations and flow with life.
- I forgive easily. Forgiving is easy for me.
- The future has so many possibilities for me.
- I am grateful for my past experiences and lessons. I’m a better person because of it.
- Reinventing myself feels soooo good!
- Letting go allows fresh energy to come in.
- I give myself more importance by not thinking about people who hurt me.
- I take care of my mind, body, and soul by only focusing on myself.
- That chapter is done. Goodbye!
- I am in charge of my thoughts and feelings.
- I prioritize my well-being.
- I embrace mystery and liberate myself from my suffering.
- I’m ready for my expansion!
- I can breathe. I exhale sadness and inhale love.
- I understand now that I was hurt and angry because my life didn’t turn out as expected, but I get to create a more amazing life and step into my destiny!
- I will not use past hurts to abuse myself. I let go.
Closing Thoughts on Affirmations for Letting Go of the Past
I hope this article inspires you to let go of the past and move forward with more ease. Affirmations are a simple, inexpensive way to heal and feel better.
Please have the utmost compassion for yourself. You are brave! I wish you well and many blessings on your journey. I’d love to hear how it goes.
You might also enjoy: 99 Self-Love Affirmations for Healing and Confidence
If you liked the article, I’d love it if you’d share it on Pinterest and connect with us on socials.
Much gratitude and happy manifesting!
Hooked on Manifestation?
Sign up for our email newsletter to get your free effortless manifestation training worksheet, where we deep dive into how to be an effortless manifestor and talk about personal stories and experiences.